Mexican food is a huge staple in our home. From tacos to enchiladas to burritos, we are all about it! That's why I was so excited to find this recipe on how to cook gluten free tortillas. And what was even more exciting was that they were actually delicious! With a few simple ingredients and a small amount of time, you can have an excellent substitution for your standard corn or flour tortillas. One of the challenges of eating gluten free or Paleo, is that what we have come to know and love about bread and tortillas completely changes. Often times, the texture and taste is not that satisfying...especially if you are just making the transition. Over time, our taste buds adapt, our cravings change, and all is right in the world again. But these tortillas are something you won't need to adapt to. You will enjoy them!
Something you might want to consider when doing your meal planning is that these tortillas can be made the day before and reheated the next day when you are ready to use them. It really helps to cut down on the prep time when cooking your meal. Just store them in your refrigerator and when you want to reheat them, simply heat up a frying pan on medium heat and warm each tortillas up for a couple of minutes. Your other option is to turn your oven on at about 425°F, line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and lay all of the tortillas flat on it. Bake them for about 5 minutes or so, checking on them and flipping them halfway through. They heat up wonderfully. Another note, the original recipe makes 6 tortillas. So depending on how many people you are feeding, you may want to consider doubling the recipe. That's what I usually do. They freeze well too so if you make more than you need, simply freeze them for later use. When I use them for enchiladas, I usually make them bigger than I do for tacos. If you want to make 6 tortillas, refer to the original recipe. If you want to double the recipe, follow my instructions. Depending on how large you make the tortillas, you should yield about 12 tortillas.
4 eggs whisked
2 cups full fat coconut milk
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 cup tapioca flour
6 Tablespoons coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1. In a mixing bowl, combine eggs, coconut milk, and olive oil.
2. In a separate bowl, combine flours and sea salt. Mix well.
3. Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients and whisk until fully combined.
4. Melt either coconut oil or olive oil over medium heat.
5. Pour about 1/3 cup of batter in pan to form a 6 inch tortilla. Use a little more batter if you want a larger tortilla.
6. Cook for about 3 minutes until lightly browned. Then flip over and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
7. Place tortillas on a paper towel lined plate.
8. Enjoy right away or store in refrigerator until needed.