This time of year, we can count on seeing blackberries at our local farmer's markets, in your grocery store, or if you are fortunate enough to live in an area where you can pick them yourself (like here in Oregon), now is the time! If you have ever picked your own blackberries, you know there is nothing quite like it. The freshness and sweet taste is irresistible.
Because of their dark color, they have a high level of antioxidants and are also low in calories. You could add blackberries to your morning smoothie, some oatmeal, granola, yogurt, a salad, or just eat them by the handful. Either way this tasty berry will bring you delight.
I want to share with you my Blackberry Coconut Bread recipe. It is so delicious that you could easily call this dessert. But it is healthy enough that you could eat it for breakfast. This is a paleo friendly recipe and you can sub the grass-fed butter for coconut oil to make it dairy free. I used fresh blackberries but if you want to use frozen, just make sure thaw them out first to avoid too much moisture in the bread.
2 cups almond flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup full fat coconut milk
4 Tbs coconut cream concentrate (coconut butter), softened
1 Tbs pure vanilla extract
2 Tbs lemon juice
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, plus more for garnish
1 cup organic blackberries, diced into thirds
1. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and preheat oven to 350°.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine your almond flour, baking soda, and sea salt.
3. In another bowl, combine the eggs, maple syrup, coconut milk, coconut butter, vanilla, and lemon juice. Mix well.
4. Stir in the shredded coconut into your wet mixture. Then combine both the wet and dry mixtures and mix thoroughly.
5. Gently fold in the blackberries and pour mixture into your loaf pan. It's important to dice the blackberries to a smaller size for even baking and easier slicing. Top with some shredded coconut and bake for about 40-50 minutes depending on your oven. Use toothpick method to ensure it is done before removing from oven. Allow to cool. Slice and enjoy! This also freezes really well.