This recipe was born out of my love for Acaí Bowls. If you have read about my Superfruit Acaí Berry Bowl, you already know about the nutritional benefits of the acaí berry. Not to mention it tastes delicious! Granola is a common topping on acaí bowls and I wanted to create a granola specifically for that.
Acaí is native to Brazil so naturally I wanted to include some other ingredients in that family. And since the Brazil nut and cashews are both grown in Brazil, they seemed like an obvious choice. They both have amazing health benefits as well. Cashews are rich in iron and zinc as well as being a great source of magnesium. Here is an amazing fact about the Brazil nut. Just one of those nuts has more than 100% of the daily value for selenium! Studies have shown that selenium is a valuable mineral in the fight against cancer. Selenium also helps support thyroid function.
This granola is also made with some coconut butter and coconut oil which creates a nice and light crunch. I find the texture to be perfect when combining it with a thick, ice cold bowl of acaí. Not only do I love this granola with my acaí bowls, but it is also delicious with some homemade almond or coconut milk. Or you can just eat it by the handful!
3 cups rolled oats
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup coconut chips
1/8 cup raw hemp seeds
1/2 cup cashews, chopped in food processor
1/2 cup Brazil nuts, chopped in food processor
3 Tbs Acaí powder
3 Tbs coconut cream concentrate (coconut butter)
3 Tbs coconut oil, melted
6 Tbs maple syrup
1 Tbs vanilla extract
1. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat oven to 300°.
2. In a large bowl, combine oats, cinnamon, sea salt, coconut chips, hemp seeds and nuts.
3. In a small bowl, combine acaí powder, coconut butter, coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla. Mix well.
4. Combine your wet and dry ingredients, mix well, and spread in a thin layer on your baking sheet.
5. Bake for about 30 minutes, checking and stirring the granola after about 15 minutes.
6. Cool and store in an airtight container in your refrigerator.
*Just a quick note, you can make this granola without the acaí powder and it will still be delicious. The acaí powder is just another nutritional benefit and omitting it will not alter the outcome of the granola.