Thanksgiving came and went in a flash, didn't it? All the planning and prep work really paid off as our feast was delicious! Of course my favorite part was having my family all together. It was nice to have my son home from college for 5 days, a few extra days from his usual weekend visits. We spent the weekend getting ready for our next big holiday, Christmas! The house is decorated, lights are up outside, and we found the perfect Christmas tree. The best part about that is we found it in about 10 minutes and it maybe took 10 minutes more to set it up in the stand. Usually it doesn't go as smoothly so we were pleasantly surprised.
It's funny to look back at all of our Christmas tree stories that didn't go so well. The trees always seem manageable when we are picking them out. How is it that they somehow grown an extra 2 feet on the way home and way a ton? It's one of those experiences where you just want to laugh and scream all at the same time. Can you feel me here? Have you had any experiences like this?
After the holiday weekend and all the busyness that came with it, having a few easy meal ideas in your back pocket are a nice way to get back into the routine. Egg based meals are easy and blend well with various ingredients. Whether it be for breakfast or dinner, eggs dishes are a hit!
This recipe involves two of my favorite ingredients... butternut squash and kale. Topping it off with some healthy fats from an avocado makes this breakfast bowl loaded with serious nutrients.
If you want to add a little dressing to the equation, my tahini turmeric dressing brings some great flavor to this delightful scramble. You can use spinach instead of kale if you prefer. This recipe makes two large bowls.
2 cups butternut squash, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
sea salt, to taste
fresh ground pepper, to taste
2 Tbs coconut oil, divided
1/4 cup yellow onion, diced
2 cups kale, stems removed, cut into bite sized pieces
6 eggs, beaten
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/8 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp tarragon
Tahini Turmeric Dressing (recipe below)
sesame or hemp seeds
1. Prep your vegetables. Preheat oven to 400° and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a medium sized bowl, toss the butternut squash with 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil, sea salt, and pepper. Place this mixture on your baking sheet and roast for about 30 minutes, or until your squash is tender.
3. While the butternut squash is roasting, whisk your eggs in a medium sized bowl and add your spices to the eggs.
4. Place the remaining coconut oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the onions and cook for about 2-3 minutes. Then add the kale and cook until slightly softened.
5. Add the eggs to the kale and onion. Continue to stir until the eggs have set. About this time your squash should be close to ready. Divide your egg and kale mixture between two bowls. Then divide the butternut squash between the two bowls. Top with some sliced avocado, sesame seeds, hemp seeds, and tahini turmeric dressing if desired. Enjoy immediately. Makes two large bowls.
Tahini Turmeric Dressing
1/4 cup tahini
1/4 cup filtered water
juice from one lemon (approx. 2-3 Tbs)
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp ground ginger
pinch of sea salt
pinch of fresh ground pepper
2 Tbs raw honey
1. Place all ingredients into your high speed blender and blend until smooth. Store in an airtight container in your refrigerator. Makes just over 1/2 cup.