If you have been searching for a really good recipe for sandwich bread, buns, or English muffins, this is one you definitely want to give a try. I stumbled upon it as I was trying to come up with a good alternative for an English muffin. My husband absolutely loves Eggs Benedict and in an effort to create a recipe that was not only delicious, but a healthier version as well, I decided to give this recipe a try.
Not only does it fit into the Paleo guidelines (although we aren't strict Paleo), but it only requires 7 ingredients. It literally takes a few minutes to mix up and 15 minutes to bake. So don't let the thought of making your own bread overwhelm you. The original recipe suggests using egg rings, like these ones. But I thought I wanted my English muffins to be larger than an egg ring, so I opted to use this mini round cake pan with 6 wells. It is the perfect size for making sandwich rolls or English muffins. I doubled the recipe and filled each of the 6 wells. I couldn't have been more pleased with the results!
I'm sure you have tried different types of gluten free or paleo bread before that just don't hold up well. Either it is too soft or it falls apart. Well rest assured, this is not one of those deals. These sandwich rolls are sturdy- you can actually pick them up with your hands, take a bite, and have everything still in tact! Amazing :) You can store them in your refrigerator and use them for your daily sandwiches or breakfast meals. They also freeze really well. I'm giving you the recipe for the doubled version that I use. If you want a smaller amount or smaller size used with egg rings, refer to the original recipe.
1 cup almond flour
1 cup tapioca flour
1/2 cup unsweetened organic applesauce
2 tsp baking powder (not baking soda)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 350° and lightly grease your 6 well cake pan with coconut oil.
2. In a large bowl, combine almond flour, tapioca flour, baking powder, and sea salt.
3. Add in the eggs, applesauce, and palm shortening. Combine the ingredients thoroughly.
4. Divide the batter equally between the 6 wells. Bake for about 15 minutes and allow a few minutes to cool before slicing in half.
5. Enjoy these with your sandwiches, burgers, breakfast items, etc.