Peanut butter and chocolate...such an irresistible combination. This cookie has a great balance of the two. It is a great little gluten free cookie made up mostly of almond flour. I have baked several cookie recipes made with almond flour and they all have the same general taste, which is good, don't get me wrong, but you can tell it is different than a traditional all purpose flour based cookie. This recipe uses some additional ingredients which sets it apart and for a minute you forget you are eating a gluten free cookie.
Not only does this recipe produce a delicious tasting cookie, it's also a very quick and easy recipe to follow. It's important to note that when selecting a good peanut butter, a butter containing Organic Valencia Peanuts is optimal. Peanuts have been known to be exposed to many pesticides so limiting that as much as possible is a wise choice. If you can't have peanut butter, I imagine another nut or seed butter would work well.
2 1/2 cups almond flour
1/4 cup arrowroot flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons coconut sugar
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
2/3 cup organic peanut butter
3/4 cup maple syrup
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon blackstrap molasses
2 tablespoons psyllium seed husks (you can sub with ground flax or chia if desired)
1/3 cup melted coconut oil
1 cup chocolate chunks (I use Enjoy Life for a dairy free, soy free, non GMO option)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Mix together almond flour, arrowroot flour, baking powder, baking soda, coconut sugar, and sea salt.
3. In another bowl, mix together peanut butter, maple syrup, vanilla, molasses, psyllium seed husks, and coconut oil.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir to combine.
5. Stir in chocolate chunks.
6. Optional- place dough in refrigerator for about 30 minutes. Use an ice cream scoop to place cookie dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. You will need to flatten the cookies with your hand otherwise they will not change shape much.
7. Bake for about 12 minutes and let cool. Makes about 2 dozen cookies.