Do you perk up when you think of a nice, warm cinnamon roll for breakfast? This popular cinnamon sugar sweet pastry is hard to resist!
It is said that the first cinnamon roll was baked in Sweden on October 4th. That date is now celebrated as National Cinnamon Bun Day. As you can imagine, cinnamon rolls are a big deal there and are commonly celebrated and shared among family and friends. The cinnamon rolls in Sweden are not as sweet and heavy as they are in the United States. They are more of a delicate treat and baked with a touch of cardamom. I love that idea!
The variety of cinnamon rolls has definitely broadened over the years. You can find them sweet and sticky, light and flaky, in different shapes, sizes, and flavors. To keep up with the momentum in the ever changing world of cinnamon rolls, I wanted to create a healthy way to enjoy this traditional treat.
So of course I reached for one of my favorite flours, coconut flour, to create this cinnamon bread loaf. I just love the nutritional benefits that coconut flour offers. Being high in fiber, protein, and healthy fats are probably what separates it the most from using a traditional all purpose flour. Also it's naturally low in sugar, digestible carbohydrates, and calories, gives it a low ranking on the glycemic index chart. The flour actually comes from dried and ground coconut meat. So it's perfect for people with a gluten intolerance, a nut allergy, or people struggling with digestive issues. If you have never baked with coconut flour, it does require a higher liquid ration compared to other flours which is why you will notice a good amount of eggs and liquid measurements in this recipe.
This recipe in general has minimal sugar content which is a huge bonus. As a matter of fact, the only sweetener used is pure maple syrup. It's hard to beat that! Topped with some sweet cashew cream that mimics a cream cheese frosting, and toasted coconut sprinkled on top, this is one sweet bread loaf you will be baking time and time again.
3/4 cup coconut flour
2 Tbs arrowroot
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 tsp ground cinnamon, divided
1/2 cup grass-fed butter, ghee, or coconut oil, melted
1/2 cup pure maple syrup + 3 Tbs maple syrup for the swirl
1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
Sweet Cashew Cream
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 9x5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper. In a large bowl, combine the coconut flour, arrowroot, sea salt, baking soda, and 1 tsp cinnamon (you will use the other 2 tsp for the swirl).
2. In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, butter (or coconut oil), 1/2 cup maple syrup, and coconut milk.
3. Combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix well. Now spoon out about 1/2 cup of the batter and place it into a small bowl. Add the remaining 2 tsp cinnamon and 3 Tbs pure maple syrup to the 1/2 cup of batter. Mix well.
4. Now evenly spread about 3/4 cup of the remaining batter onto the bottom of the loaf pan. Then add the cinnamon swirl layer. Spread the rest of the batter over the cinnamon layer. Using a knife, create a swirl in the bread by inserting the knife into the bottom portion of the bread loaf. Then make a circular motion from bottom to top along the whole loaf.
5. Make sure batter is evenly distributed in the loaf pan. Bake for about 45 minutes. Test with a toothpick if necessary. Once the bread has cooled, top it off with some sweet cashew cream and toasted coconut. The flavor is dynamite!